Australia's largest worker cooperative!
Resource Work Cooperative is a not-for-profit, self-funding worker’s cooperative based in Hobart, Tasmania. Founded in 1993, we employ 35 local Tasmanians who democratically run our social enterprise. We can supply materials for your next renovation or art project, pick up your reusable goods for free or even sustainably deconstruct entire buildings!
We have three main objectives that drive our work:
- To create employment
- To minimise waste
- To promote waste minimisation in the community
We operate a host of landfill reduction initiatives including:
- South Hobart Tip Shop (stocked with salvage from landfill and donations from the public)
- Deconstruction Service (low impact building demolition)
- Ewaste Recycling Onsite
- Community "Pick Up" Service - Goods collection Monday + Tuesday
- Urban Salvage Service
- "Arts Parts" Art supply shop (based in our Education Centre)
- Creative Re-Use workshops
- Tip Shop Tours
- Annual "Art From Trash" Exhibition at the Long Gallery, Salamanca
We also encourage visits by schools and community groups, run stalls at events such as the Sustainable Living Festival and the Garage Sale Trail.
Where does our income go?
- Employment expenses (80% of income)
- Truck and Forklift maintenance
- Art From Trash Exhibition
Resource is self-governed and self-funded. This means that the business belongs to the people who you see working at the Tip Shop. Our workers also volunteer their spare time to attend monthly to general meetings and these meetings decide the running of the cooperative. We practice consensus decision making.
Resource committed to all-gender inclusivity in our shop and workplace. We welcome diversity and welcome any feedback for improvements.
Resource Work Cooperative acknowledges that the Muwinina people of the South East Aboriginal nation were the traditional and original owners of this land. We pay our respects to today’s traditional owners, the Tasmanian Aboriginal Community, the palawa people, and to Elders past and present.